Archiving NZ Trucking History Media
John was born in Wellington in 1947 where in 1951 his parents Les and Betty started up their transport company, L G Anderson with one Bedford truck moving freight. The first year of business was turned into turmoil with wharf strikes which resulted in them carting anything they could get their hands in order to make a living.
His introduction to the business was as a youngster when he would do whatever he could to help out after school and on weekends. On leaving college in 1963 he joined the company, initially driving a van doing metro deliveries.
L G Anderson operated in the greater Wellington area and was a member of Kiwi Carriers, formed by returned servicemen as a hub for small operators. The kiwi trucks were painted orange and black, colours which continue to adorn the fleet today.
By mid 1970’s the family’s hard work ethics had come to fruition, due in part to their commitment to moving all forms of cargo from the Wellington Ports dockside. The family’s business activities gradually tended towards LCL and FCL freight handling, which today makes up half of the Company’s transport movements.
He and his wife took full control of the Company when his father passed away in 1988, and their drive and energy has seen the business grow through the greater Wellington region with a modern vehicle fleet now numbering 30. Expansion also led to setting up a joint venture with Centreport to load and devan containers, and establish a warehouse and logistics operation. This latter business (Anderson & Flowers Ltd) complements L G Anderson’s transport activity and is now wholly owned by this inductee and his wife.
The business remains a family affair – with him now more focussed on marketing and customer relations and operational matters handled by sons Clinton and Chris, and his nephew Craig. In mid 2013 the main office, depot and warehouse relocated to Wingate, providing a solid base for the future.
Throughout his working life he’s been actively involved in the transport industry; a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport and has received the Bob Owens award for outstanding contribution to logistics/supply chain and the community. He is a past President of Wellington Road Transport Association, past Chairman of NZ Road Transport Association, and life member of Road Transport Forum and Wellington Regional Road Transport Association. He also represented the industry on the Board of Transfund New Zealand for 9 years, and has served on other Government sector bodies.
His business skills and knowledge have been called upon in several areas, including sitting on Boards formed by Hutt City Council when their trading activities (as diversified as Eastbourne Bus Company and Seaview Marina) were separated, and he has been a Rotary Club President and recipient of a Paul Harris fellowship and sapphire pin. A keen follower of sport, he is today more a watcher than participant with the exception of golf where the competitive drive which epitomised his business career remains to the fore.
His current role is Managing Director of the L G Anderson group of companies, where he continues to be actively involved in the industry after a lifetime of service.